Photography “London Eye” by BurnettMusic.biz
2021 PROGRAMMING SUCCESS AT A GLANCE
ONE: ARC JAM SESSION AT 424 LOUNGE
- 2021 season sponsored by Frontier Community Credit Union
- ARC Recording Artist, B.J. Jansen (NYC, Philly, KC) curated the sessions
- ARC Recording Artist, Dr. Mike Pagan; Osmond and CC Fisher (Kansas City Jazz Academy); Jason Goudeau (B.A.C. Horn Doctor Artist); and Christopher Burnett (Conn-Selmer Inc Artist and Clinician); Tate Berry (UMKC Conservatory Student) were featured clinicians
- Student musician turn out was good and resulted in them networking among themselves resulting in performing together outside of the jam sessions and actually forming jazz groups throughout the community.
- Look for some exciting new initiatives as part of the 2022 season.
- Dedicated URL: JazzJam.us / Program Period: June – November 2021
TWO: BIRD BOOT CAMP + MUSICAL SALUTE AT THE FOLLY THEATER
- Another resounding success in 2021 held at another Kansas City icon, The Folly Theater.
- We had 58 registrations of the 75 total available ticket reservations. Ultimately 22 of those 58 registrants attended as the result of several subsequent academic conflicts with high school and college band rehearsals and performance activities that were also on August 21st. In all it was a nice turnout.
- Our necessary COVID-19 safety protocols were 100% effective. The Folly Theater is a spacious venue with ample room for social distancing as prescribed by the CDC. However, we believe that the general upward regional trend in coronavirus cases also naturally effected total 2021 participation numbers. In all it was still a great event.
- The 2021 event was support totally by business sponsorships, community support and private donations. We hope to be able to secure grant funding but the fact that we could raise our entire budget without the time-consumption or matching grant requirements involved with the typical grant process was refreshing.
- Major sponsors included Frontier Community Credit Union; Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City; Jamey Aebersold (Jazz Books); Laven Electric; Kansas City Jazz A.L.I.V.E.; Meyer Music; Conn-Selmer, Inc.
- Major in-kind sponsors included Make Music, Inc. (Finale Music Notation Software); Key Leaves; Boston Sax Shop; Burnett Music Foundation; Midnight Blue Jazz LLC; JBT Studio LLC
- 2021 Celebrity Artists and Clinicians included Ronald McFadden (McFadden Brothers); Will Matthews (Count Basie Orchestra); Gerald Spaits (Jay McShann); Doug Auwarter (Sons of Brasil); Dr. Justin Binek; Dr. Mike Parkinson; Dr. Todd Wilkinson; Professor Clarence Smith; Chuck Haddix; Gregory A. Carroll
- Dedicated URL: BirdBootCamp.org / Program Period: August 2021
THREE: JAZZ ARTISTRY NOW DIGITAL ARTS MAGAZINE
- Kenny Washington – a personal reflection
- REVIEW: Jesup Wagon by James Brandon Lewis
- Great Jazz Communities Inherently Have Great Jazz Infrastructures
- Lee Morgan: Completing the Lighthouse
- New Piano Music in Review
- REVIEW: Standards, Vol. 1 by Dan Arcamone
- Guitar Albums in Review
- BIRD AND THE BLUES
- PAIRED REVIEW: Josh Johnson + Morgan Guerin
- JAN Best of Jazz 2020
- Art Exhibit
- Photo Exhibit
- Contributing Writers
- Dedicated URL: JazzArtistryNow.com
FOUR: KANSAS CITY AREA YOUTH JAZZ
- 2021 marked the third successful season
- 2019 FELLOWS and 2020 FELLOWS albums distributed worldwide on ARC label
- 2021 FELLOWS album to be released worldwide December 15 on ARC label
- New name dedicated ensembles: Leon Brady Ensemble and Bill Crain Ensemble
- 2021 season included both high school and college age youth jazz artists
- 2021 Successful “Community Partnerships” with BRC Audio Productions (Kansas City, Kansas) and KCPS Paseo Academy of Fine and Performing Arts (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Youth Jazz has recorded the music of established and noted jazz composers: Bobby Watson; David Berkman; Bill Crain; Christopher Burnett; Patrick Cornelius; WM Thornton; William Crain; Dr. Arthur White; Sammy Fain
- Youth Jazz clinicians have included: Houston Smith (Berklee); Morgan Faw (Berklee); Gary Kerkezou (Berklee, Manhattan School of Music); Clarence Smith (MCC, Kansas City Jazz Academy)
- Established new discography page and alumni listing at official website
- Dedicated URL: YouthJazz.us / Program Period: Auditions (Feb-Mar); Season (Apr-Jul); Recording (1st week in Aug)
KC Photography shown in our projects is by Duane Hallock
The name of the corporation:
Burnett Music Foundation
Registered in Kansas:
Leavenworth, Kansas 66048
The nature or purpose of the business entity:
The purpose of this business entity is to engage in any lawful act or activity for which the entity may be organized under the laws of Kansas.
Music education, instruction, and performance activities designed to promote the further development and awareness of jazz music as an art form and the individual musical performance skills development of program participants.
This corporation does not have the authority to issue stock. The conditions of the membership are set in the bylaws.
Director(s) information: SEE DIRECTORS
Expiration date of the corporate existence:
CERTIFICATE ID: 1125850
KC Photography shown in our projects is by Duane Hallock
To verify the validity of this certificate please visit https://www.kansas.gov/bess/flow/validate and enter the certificate ID number.
STATE OF KANSAS
SECRETARY OF STATE
I, SCOTT SCHWAB, Secretary of State of the state of Kansas, do hereby certify, that according to the records of this office.
Business Entity ID Number: 9593898
Entity Name: BURNETT MUSIC FOUNDATION
Entity Type: DOM:NOT FOR PROFIT CORPORATION
State of Organization: KS
Resident Agent: CHRISTOPHER LEROY BURNETT
[D-U-N-S Number 117425382]